Friday, April 1, 2011

Local Profile - Vivien Adler

A lot of people talk about career change, few of us actually are brave enough to do it.  Not Vivien Adler.  She has successfully navigated moving from a long career in human services to opening her own Morrocan homewares outlet called Metroscope in Collingwood.  What an inspiring life!
Vivien in the Sahara desert
Name: Vivien Adler 
Occupation: Importer & retailer of Moroccan goodies/consultant in human services field 
Lives/works: Collingwood 
How long have you lived/worked here? 7 years

Describe yourself/what you do:
After working in health and human services for 30 plus years, I decided it was time for a change. I now have the terrible job of travelling to Morocco each year to shop. I try to buy enough to fill a shipping container – mosaic tables, lanterns, ceramics, tea glasses and lots of other gorgeous things. Many are made specially for us. 


I'm not normally a shopper but there are so many beautiful homewares and handcrafts in Morocco it's really hard to resist, and with a shipping container, I don't have to! Although my husband reminds me every now and then that we're not buying for ourselves.  In my spare time I do some consulting work in the human services field – program evaluations, strategic plans, etc. It keeps the neurons connecting.

Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne's north-east:
I first moved to Northcote in the early 80s – you couldn't get a decent cup of coffee back then. How it's changed! I then moved to Clifton Hill and we are now in Collingwood. Each of the suburbs are different and special. I'm enjoying the varied aspects of Collingwood – the grunge, the trendy, the cutting edge arts and there are still some older people who migrated here and worked in the local factories. It's such a mixture! And there are lots of places you can get a really good cup of coffee!


www.metroscope.com.au
320 Wellington St Collingwood
info@metroscope.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment