Friday, March 11, 2011

M is for Morocco

I've had a thing for Middle Eastern food, art and design for the best part of 10 years now.  In fact so much so that my best friend Jules and I had a Morrocan-inspired joint 30th birthday party and my hen's night was spent doing a belly dancing class with my girlfriends followed by dinner at a Turkish restaurant.  I think all those years living off Sydney Road definitely rubbed off on me.

I've cooked a few recipes from Claudia Roden's book 'Arabesque' (not to be confused with Greg Malouf's book of the same name) as well as done a Moroccan cooking class with Meera Freeman (one of my best ever Christmas presents from Mr Rosanna).  When I lived in the inner north, I used to go to the Moroccan Soup Bar in North Fitzroy and Rumi in Brunswick.  I've also heard great things about Abla's in Carlton as well.

Locally, I have eaten at Sabas Lebanese restaurant in Ivanhoe a few times now and it's quite traditional right down to the belly dancing on Friday and Saturday nights.  I'm not quite sure if this adds to the ambience or not but the food is great.

Tip: If you're into Morrocan homewares like me, there's a fabulous shop in Collingwood called Metroscope.

No comments:

Post a Comment