Friday, March 18, 2011

Local profile - Louise Kyriakou

While these days she lives in the inner north, illustrator Louise Kyriakou grew up in Bulleen in Melbourne's north-east.  I'm also lucky enough to own a couple of her gorgeous paintings.  Selected Louise Kyriakou works are being shown at The End is the Beginning exhibition opening next week at  1000 £ Bend Gallery in the city.

Headshot w. design used for PBS106.7fm World Music Compilation CD
Name: Louise Kyriakou

Occupation: Illustrator

Lives: North Fitzroy

How long have you lived here? Six years


Describe yourself/what you do:
I am an illustrator who works freelance. As well as commercial jobs, I also get private commissions for my paintings and prints. My art tends to be full of colour and “happiness”, so I get a lot of requests to do jobs that have a humourous aspect to them, or that appeal to children.  

I recently became a Bronze winning finalist in the Book Series category of Creative Australia magazine’s 2011 Illustrators Australia Awards for the work I did for “Fast” Ed Halmagyi's (Better Homes & Gardens) latest cookbook “An Hour's the Limit” (Ebury Press).

I am also on the National Committee of Illustrators Australia, a non-profit organization that promotes and assists Illustrators in professional practice. To make things more fun, we also organize the odd group exhibition, and other get togethers. 

Digital Print being exhibited in The End is the Beginning exhibition
Best thing(s) about living in Melbourne's north-east:
I'm in a great location; close to the city and all the things that come with that such as good coffee, a huge choice of places to eat and buy fresh produce, lots of independent shops, heaps of galleries, as well as vast area of open space with all the parks and trails, and everything's within walking distance.

The cafes are filled all day long, and the streets are always buzzing with activity. If I have been inside working all day and feeling like I'm isolated in my home studio where I work, all I need to do is go for a short walk down to my local shops or along the Yarra Trail bike path, and I feel as though I'm still a part of the world.

For more information:
Email: loukyriakou@gmail.com
Website: www.louisekyriakou.com
Blog: www.louisekyriakou.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment