Friday, March 25, 2011

Local Profile - Guy Franklin

I'm lucky enough to be friends with people ranging in age from their early 20s to 50+.  Some of my younger friends are so damn talented, I wonder where they will be once they get to my age.  Guy is one of those people - an up and coming film writer/film director, he has also directed Kimbra's amazing video clip 'Settle Down'.  Watch this space.
Guy Franklin
Desired [full-time] occupation: Writer/Director

Current employment: [part-time] Tennis Coach
Lives/works: Eltham


How long have you lived/worked here:
I have lived in Eltham for 22 years, which is also where tennis coaching is based - whereas film work often takes me to many a far away suburb.

Describe yourself/what you do…
I'd describe myself as a spectator learning to participate. I often find myself somewhat disconnected from my own experience, though I am incredibly thirsty to hear about the experiences of those around me. I rarely find myself with little to do as my pre-disposition to write (or, perhaps, to think about writing – which may, in actuality, be far more time consuming) usually keeps me occupied.

Writing, in whatever form, has been an activity I have practised from a young age so, I suppose, it is somewhat natural that I am aiming to build a career out of it. My fascination with human emotions and behaviour ultimately directed my general interest in writing to a specific interest in writing for film… as I learnt more about those behind the camera, I quickly became interested in the role of the 'Director' as well.
 

Still from Settle Down video clip
Whilst working on my short film projects, I am also moving into the music-video arena, as a stepping-stone of sorts. Below is a link to my first music video – I have just gone into pre-production for Kimbra's second video, which we will be shooting April 9th and 10th.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHV04eSGzAA
 

Kimbra - Settle Down video clip
Best thing(s) about living/working in Melbourne's north-east:
I think the best/most significant thing would be a sense of home – of family, childhood and innocence.  When I think about it, having lived in this area of Melbourne for a while, it definitely holds a deep nostalgic quality - and a connected sense of comfort… away from the busier city centre and other areas where I feel far more anxiety.

 It's a beautiful place to grow up.

Email: guy.franklin@hotmail.com



Blog (that I struggle to get to work on): http://www.thejackalandthegiraffe.blogspot.com

Nb. Miss Rosanna and Guy Franklin are relatives by marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment